I have finished sewing my first ever skirt. It is the Yoke Skirt from the second Great British Sewing Bee series, the pattern for which is included in the accompanying book.
I made a few changes to the original pattern, most noticeably lengthening the skirt to a length I would feel comfortable wearing.
I don’t wear skirts very often so didn’t think I would enjoy wearing a skirt above this length as I tend to go for a maxi-skirt if I step away from my usual jeans, so I went for a mid-calf modification, even though I know that it is a length that many find difficult or unflattering, as I think it is just about as short as I dare.
I chose this pattern because I liked the shaped yoke detail which looked like it might be flattering as well as allowing the skirt to sit flat across the front whilst maintaining the A-line shape for ease of movement. The original pattern gave a good amount of detail about how to apply piping between the yoke and lower skirt, but I just couldn’t find piping cord anywhere in the local haberdashers, so rather than wait extra days for the joys of internet shopping to provide I instead winged it with a bit of bias binding instead to give a nice contrast detail.
I also decided to forego the process of turning the curved hem and instead use bias tape to finish it, to match the piece delineating the yoke and main skirt length. I hoped that this might also just give the slightest bit of extra structure to the edge, not to make it flare out, but just to hold the drape slightly aloft at the sides.
I love the look of the solid edging on this skirt now that it is finished – it gives a slightly retro look to this skirt with its perfect polka dots and bunny rabbits, which along with the length and shape perhaps gives a slightly 50s effect overall.
I’m very happy with the finished project and hope to make another skirt, albeit a bit different from this one, in the near future. Hopefully I will have the confidence to enjoy this fun new wardrobe addition over the coming weeks.